Sunday, February 7, 2016

Operations 3: A Card Carrying Member.

Hello all,

My previous post about using Penn Central Car Movement Cards prompted some discussion about the inconvenience involved in carrying and organizing a stack of cards around the layout while switching a train.   I'm putting together a video demonstrating the use of the cards but its taking longer than I expected, so I thought I'd do an abbreviated post to the blog today to show off an idea I recently came up with to deal with the issue of carrying several cards around. 

I like the idea of using a switch list too but I also want to incorporate the cards.   I use a clip board to carry the switchlist.   After assembling a number of boxes for my cards, it occurred to me to add a card box to the clip board so all information is handy and easy to carry.

The upcoming video will feature a 13 car train.   Here are the corresponding cards for set-outs fanned out like a deck.

Here is the switchlist based on the cards for set-outs and also for the pick-us that are staged on the layout.

And, here is the newly fashioned clipboard that accommodates both!

Even with this convenient arrangement I still need to set the clipboard down sometimes to run the train.


This is accomplished by installing a couple of conveniently located hooks on the fascia.

More to come, but I wanted to post something about what I'm up to!

Enjoy the Super Bowl today!

Ralph

8 comments:

  1. I'm having one of those "Why didn't I think of that!" moments after reading this latest blog entry. An excellent idea that should work and last for many years to come. Nice job on the concept and the execution!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks John,

    I had a, "why didn't I think of that sooner?" moment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. But if you use the cards to build the switchlist, why do you need to carry the cards? Can you just work from the switchlist? Actually, I want to work toward a paperless switchlist by sending the JMRI switchlist output to a handheld device, which will be a little more compact and easier to carry than a full sheet of paper. But this is all personal preference!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi John,

    Cards for cars that are set-out at various businesses are placed in the card boxes near the corresponding industries; turned over to show the second part of their two cycle journey. That creates pick-ups for the next session. The cards also contain information about loads that make things more interesting for me. Its one thing to have a boxcar sitting at my team track. Its another to know from a glance at the card that the car is loaded with cases of Woodstock Hills Natural Soda and is bound for Mayfield Yard. Cards for pick-ups are pulled from the box and returned to the Williams Yard box once a train goes into staging so I know the corresponding car is available.

    You are getting pretty high tech there with a JMRI switchlist sent to a handheld device! Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. John,
    Waybill/ car movement card, hand writen switch list are more prototypical for his era and JMRI is for more modern era.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, of course car cards as on a model railroad have never been prototype in any era. However, 80-column punch cards were in use for prototype yard switching and consist makeup from the WWII period through the 1970s.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, of course car cards as on a model railroad have never been prototype in any era. However, 80-column punch cards were in use for prototype yard switching and consist makeup from the WWII period through the 1970s.

    ReplyDelete
  8. https://www.google.com/search?q=waybill+railroad+prototype&biw=1920&bih=955&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiFofyUwOnKAhXIeCYKHZBXD68Q_AUIBygB

    http://modelingthesp.blogspot.com/2012/07/waybills-26-prototype-documents.html

    ReplyDelete