Wednesday, July 4, 2018

DVD inspires op!

Hello there,

In my last post in the P.C.C.M. 48 series I referred to a Kings Port & Western train bringing coal hoppers into West Mill from the Mayfield Branch.    While the coal train was a background move in that P.C.C.M. it is a newly developed op that I'll be using regularly for fun when I operate my layout.   

The inspiration for the coal train came from this John Pechulis Media DVD that I recently purchased.


I'm a fan of JPM DVDs for their great vintage video and their gravel-voiced narrator Mike Bednar who shares his experiences, insights, and opinions as a career railroader.  This DVD was a special treat for me as it featured my childhood home turf and brought back memories of seeing Penn Central trains when I was a kid.   

A reference in the DVD to the Wallkill Valley Branch having been briefly considered as a possible coal connection between the Lehigh Valley and PC at Maybrook Yard  caught my ear.  The Wallkill Valley Branch is the loose inspiration for my layout's Mayfield Branch.  I liked the idea of creating an LV coal connection between Eastern Pennsylvania and my layout via my Mayfield Branch operated by my freelanced Kings Port & Western.

In my new scheme, coal trains from Mayfield (represented by a hidden staging track) arrive at West Mill on my layout where they are cut and then loaded on the car float for a short trip across the river to Port Owen's coal operated power plant.  I've been trying to get my car float more involved in layout operations so that's a bonus!

 Here is a YouTube video I've made of the action!

Thanks for taking a look!

3 comments:

  1. Isn't Mike Bednar a treasure? Jonathan Reck, who's been filming PC and later since about 1970, has some videos from JPM (his work is also on some Clear Block) and has narrated at least one for JPM, and is also quite good with first-hand insights and quirky color. I'm working on my Mike Bednar imitation. Maybe I should try narrating my own video as "Mike"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's no one quite like him! I'd like to hear your Mike impression!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very enjoyable look into the newest ops for the KP&W! Big Mike's colloquialism adds a nice touch to the JPM videos which I find are very well done. I think John B should definitely narrate his next video as Mike.

    ReplyDelete