Sunday, May 10, 2020

The Other Side of the River: Follow up

Hello again!

Photographs to have a wonderful (sometimes mortifying!) ability to clearly show a modeler his work in an objective fashion!   Such was the case with my recent Port Owen project that I posted about yesterday.

After looking at my blog photos I decided the switch tower backdrop building needed to go and Port Owen Brick Co. needed to expand.    

Here is how it looks now with a new wing added to the right side.  The car float has sailed off to West Mill leaving the apron empty.



  I found a good photo of pallets of bricks online and duplicated it a few times to create a good sized brick yard of wrapped and stacked products!

 A KP&W boxcar delivers pallets of bagged iron oxide, one of the ingredients needed for brick manufacturing.  Meanwhile a crewman walks by the NYC gon used at Port Owen s a "reacher" car.

OK..now I'm more satisfied with this scene!    

Along with the brick company, the power plant at Port Owen provides the possibility of more virtual ops traffic for our existing rolling stock.  Both the N.Y.C.T.L. and the A.P.R.R. regularly forward hopper cars in our various car movement cycles for the power plant.   

As for Port Owen Brick Co.,  I mentioned iron oxide powder as an ingredient of the brick making process.  The other four that are typical include silica, lime, alumina (clay), and magnesium.   Our virtual ops already moves silica and I'm thinking we may have a supplier for iron oxide on the N.Y.C.T.L.?    There are hardware and lumber suppliers on both the N.Y.C.T.L. and the A.P.R.R. so perhaps shipments of bricks might be appropriate?   

More car movement, more revenue, more fun!


2 comments:

  1. A great scene is now even better!!! I really like the new set up and look forward to seeing it in operation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like what you did with the expansion of the Port Owen Brick Co. The images of the bricks gave me an idea on how we can incorporate your industry with one industry in place plus a future industry on the A.P.R.R.. More to follow!

    ReplyDelete