Sunday, April 3, 2016

Video sound: I live and learn

Hello all!   I've posted several videos with train sound effects in the background playing on my iPod as I film train action on my layout.  For the first time recently, I decided to add some music to a video and learned a quick reminder about copyright.

I was posting a video tribute to the Penn Central since I was reminded by my friend John that March 31st of this year is the 40th anniversary of the last day of operation for the ill fated merger of the Pennsylvania and New York Central Railroads.  Conrail took effect April 1st, 1976.  Three of us; John, Neal, and myself decided to all post PC themed videos that day.   I thought I'd so something different and play '70s music that made references to trains in the background as my black PC locos pulled trains by the camera.  I got creative and arranged to have parts of Jimmy Hendrix's "I hear My Train a Comin'",  The Doobie Brothers "Long Train Runnin"", and Cat Steven's "Peace Train" augment the video action.  I was so pleased with the creative process and the way it came out that I completely forgot to even consider copyright issues.

Well,...YouTube didn't.  My video's audio was muted immediately after posting.  Clicking on the "Learn more" link on the message bar advising me about the issue told me that the Hendrix song in particular was a problem.  I was given the option of deleting the song, which I did, but when I returned to the video all three songs had been removed.  I've decided to leave it silent but wrote a description in the video's comments section about how the songs fit in.  Here is the PC Tribute video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLuBVREZ6Pg 

I did some research and found this site describing the YouTube copyright issue as well as options for selecting music that avoids the problem.

http://mashable.com/2010/12/08/ind-music-for-youtube-videos/#ey7B54L.9SqD

I followed the link to  one of the Creative Commons audio sites; incompetech.com
http://incompetech.com/music/royalty-free/   and decided to use a selection for my next video...which I'll describe in my next post!

1 comment:

  1. A very informative blog entry on the use of audio in our films. Nicely researched and full of good links to resources. Your PC video was extremely well done and even in the silent mode is a very enjoyable watch. Nice job on the video and explaining the research here.

    ReplyDelete