Tuesday, November 1, 2016

PC RSD-12 #6869 on the Kings Port Division

The Penn Central inherited 25 ALCO RSD-12s from the Pennsylvania Railroad.  Originally numbered in the 8655–8679 series, the PC flipped the first two numbers around and numbered the locos 6855–6879.

A Penn Central unit.
http://www.railpictures.net/images/d1/8/0/2/7802.1113183660.jpg

A few years ago I purchased a pair of used Atlas RSD-12s in Pennsylvania paint from another modeler.   They run very well at slow speeds and are among my favorite power on the Kings Port Division.   After receiving them I did some reading about RSD-12s and noted differences between the models and the prototype units.

Differences between prototype and Atlas model can be seen by comparing the model below and the real thing in the following linked photos.  Most notable are the five square vents between the cab and the large vent over the mating works logo on the model, while there are six on the prototype.

http://pc.smellycat.com/pics/equip/pc6866gs.jpg


The actual prototype #6869
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=4192112

I found a site that included a review of the Atlas RSD-12 with detailed info regarding the not completely accurate model.
http://www.ho-scaletrains.net/atlas1980shoscaletrainsresource/id17.html

A quote from the review:

"A review of the Atlas RSD-12 is found in the August 1986 edition of Model Railroader magazine. The review says, "Once again Atlas has come up with a superb Alco road switcher that fills a gap in the units available to modelers." The review mentions the RSD-12 is a combination of the prior released RS-11 and RSD-4/5. The body shell comes from the RS-11 and the trucks and frame belong to the RSD-4/5. This makes for a close, but not completely correct RSD-12. The reviewer states the location of the air filters on the long hood and the brake cylinders on the trucks are not exact matches to the RSD-12."


Considering how well the locos run, I'm willing to live with these discrepancies!

Newly updated PC #6869 with its sister unit in original paint scheme.  I'm not sure if I'll update the other loco or leave it as is.


As I mentioned above, these units run smoothly at slow speeds, making them a favorite on my layout.  Here is a short YouTube video the PC unit in action.  I use it both for yard work and road switching.

Thanks for taking a look!

7 comments:

  1. I agree that Atlas locos are very good runners, and you've done a great job on the PC paint! Your video is also giving me good ideas as I learn to do video of my layout. (Not least, all the B&M boxcars are great!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks John! I'm planning on adding ACI labels. The B&M cars in the background are flea market purchases that I upgraded with magnetic couplers and metal wheelsets. The car coupled to the loco is a new Scale Trains model. Good luck with the video! Microsoft Movie Maker is a pretty good tool and I'm still discovering features.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work on the painting of the RSD12 Ralph! I really like the way you incorporated the prototype RSD12 photo with the B&M cars to the video from West Mill showing your RSD12 pulling a B&M boxcar with other B&M cars in the background. Nice touch! I'll take a good running loco with a minor discrepancy or two any day.
    Nice blog entry and video!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John! Those B&M cars just happened to be handy at West Mill and I liked continuing the theme!

      Delete
  4. Looks Great Ralph. I'm working on customizing an old athearn gp7 and am enjoying the process. Old locomotives that run well are a great deal of fun without the pressure of all the delicate details of the new products. I enjoy those too but figure I'd hone my painting skills on the cheap ones first

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Scott! I totally relate to reconditioning old locos. Best wishes on the GP7 project!

      Delete
  5. I have enjoyed watching your projects designed to accommodate more operations on your railroad

    ReplyDelete