Wednesday, April 26, 2017

We Interrupt this P.C.C.M. to Change the World!

Well….at least to change the imaginary world of the Kings Port Division.

While taking photos for what was supposed to be the next sequence in the recent P.C.C.M. #33 series, it occurred to me that I should revisit how I represent where trains are going off layout.

For a while I used the staging tracks behind the commuter station that are shown below to represent Kings Port & Western track to Mayfield Yard.  The tracks each accommodate about nine cars.   When running virtual operations that included moving cars to Mayfield area industries Peerless Appliance, Cavendish Foods, and ACME Auto Parts  I'd send trains into these staging tracks from West Mill.  

These operations were a bit awkward as trains coming from staging had to back into West Mill Yard and a couple of runaround moves were required to get locos and cabooses in position leaving West Mill for the staging tracks.  More on that later.

Then I thought that the route to Mayfield might be best represented as a section of shared track with the Penn Central going through this tunnel and supposedly the KP&W  broke off just beyond the tunnel to Mayfield, “off layout”. 

This seemed fine until the KP&W route to Salamanca with connections to Rochester was recently developed.  I definitely needed that line to be represented by trains leaving West Mill via the tunnel and veering off on KP&W track toward Binghamton, Corning, and Salamanca because longer trains would be involved that the staging tracks by the commuter station couldn't accommodate.


It occurred to me that I didn’t want Mayfield to be just another stop along that line and that I'd rather consider it to be a branch.  The original inspiration for Mayfield was the NH/PC Maybrook Yard that was reached by a branch off the River Line from Kingston NY.   I wanted to go back to that kind of configuration.    As I mentioned above,  the staging tracks I originally used as the route to Mayfield are just long enough to accommodate trains with cars for all three industries.    So, I’ve decided Mayfield is a smaller yard that handles shorter KP&W trains that will be run into staging.

You’ll notice that there is a turnout just in front of the passage into staging so there are two tracks.  It occurred to me that the other staging track could be a sort of homage to the Catskill Mountain Branch which also came off the River Line at Kingston.    In the PC era the line ran to Bloomville, NY and served industries like an Agway feed mill.    I've slightly changed the name to Bloomberg since I'm not attempting to accurately model the area.  I was thinking I could send short grain trains and maybe also create another industry or two that needed boxcars at Bloomberg.


In earlier years the real mountain branch was also a tourist line that took vacationers up to the mountain resorts in the Catskills.  The real Catskill line was famous for a red Doodlebug that transported tourists.   Occasional runs by a vintage Doodlebug might make things fun on the Kings Port Division as well.  I have the Bachmann PRR Doodlebug and just haven’t used it much but could now add it to regular operations. 

Here is a new revised map of the Kings Port Division and connections.  Green is PC, Orange is KP&W, and the blue line from Salamanca to Rochester is B&O.

The actual modeled portion is highlighted in green as part of the Penn Central (inspired by the River Line from Selkirk to Weehawken.) and orange indicating some King Port & Western R.R. running rights.  Everything else is “off layout”.  

A helicopter view of the Mayfield and Mountain Branches veering off by the grain elevator, while the PC line to Weehawken that also leads to the KP&W cut off to Salamanca (supposedly just beyond the tunnel) is seen on the upper left side of the photo. 

So, all of this mental reorganizing the fictional Kings Port Division world has gained me a clearer understanding of how to represent where trains go off layout, and also added a new branch line that can provide more car movement options.  Gotta think of a new industry or two for the Mountain Branch.

Next up:  Finding a way to make the runs from West Mill to the branch lines easier to operate.  









8 comments:

  1. Nice work reorganizing and streamlining your on layout and off layout operations Ralph! The details, maps and photos explained your thinking quite well. That your layout built 20 years ago offers all these 'new' opportunities is amazing. Seems the K.P.D. and K.P.& W. layout concept is timeless. looking forward to taking advantage of these new operational improvements.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John! I've been fortunate that a layout originally built to watch trains go around has lent itself to so many operations.

      Delete
  2. Ralph, since I'm fairly new to your virtual op sessions, this really helps me to develop more scenarios for the three of us to make great use of on our layouts. 20 years and still going strong! Kudos to you! Looking forward to more virtual ops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to your participation in the virtual ops scheme Neal!

      Delete
  3. I'm curious about one thing, because I've never been clear about exactly how the PC rearranged things between Newark, with the LV Oak Island yard, Jersey City, with the PRR yard, and Weehawken. At some point between PC and Conrail, connections were added and streamlined between PRR operations and NYC with a connection added somehow. (But Weehawken itself wouldn't have been the place, with the cliffs in the way).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was it North Bergen? I'm really not that clear about it myself John. Worth some more research!

      Delete
  4. Just the fact that a layout designed and built 20 years ago is able to accomodate this level of change is a credit to your original design. A great layout gets even better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ed! Wish I could say I was clever enough to plan it all that way! :)

      Delete