Monday, October 19, 2015

Penn Central Power 3



I've interrupted the presentation of my PC locomotive roster by posting about signals on the Kings Port Division.  I’m continuing to add signals so there will be more to come on that topic, but for now I want to return to my motive power.

In no particular order here are:

GP38 #7692  This is an Atlas Yellow Box model from the early 1980s that I purchased at a flea market last year, still unopened in the box.   It runs very nicely.  The unit was undecorated so I painted and lettered it as #7692.   The PC had 268 of these EMD units.  According to Jeremy F. Plant in "Penn Central in Color Vol. 2", the New York Central and Pennsylvania Railroads weren't interested in the GP38 when it first came out, but "by 1969 it was the engine of choice" and the PC purchased 150 of what would eventually become a roster of almost 500 including the refined version, the GP38-2.     Plant quotes "Penn Central Power" author Robert Yanosey as noting that "the GP38 symbolizes the Penn Central".    GP38 #7692 heads local freights on the Kings Port Division thanks to its excellent slow speed switching qualities. 


F7B # 3489.    This unit is Tyco shell on an Athearn chassis.    The shell, another childhood acquisition, was originally painted in the ATSF Super Chief silver.  I painted and lettered the unit.   I've noticed in some proto photos that the number and PC logo were sometimes placed in the opposite arrangement on B units.    There units were rated at 1500 HP.

GP9B #3836   I'm fascinated by the cabless GP9B.  Penn Central inherited 40 of these 1750 HP units from the Pennsylvania Railroad numbered from 3800-3839.  I cobbled mine from an Athearn GP9 shell by modifying the cab section.

  


 GP9 #7175   Another Athearn unit that I've had for about 20 years.    It was originally undecorated.   Prototype photos of PC GP9s find them with either the small or large PC logo on the flank.  The Penn Central owned 453 of these 1750 HP units, a popular favorite of mine.   

 SD9 #6922    Yet another 20 year old Atheran, again originally undecorated but painted and lettered by yours truly.  I was delighted to find a few proto pics of this unit online.    SD9s were often assigned to yard, hump, and transfer service.   On the Kings Port Division this unit has been seen on pull-out duty hauling cars from staging into Kings Port as if it was assembling a train from Williams Yard.   It also heads transfer runs to West Mill.  These six axle units numbered from 6900-6924 were rated at 1750 HP.


SD9 # 8589  (Still in Pennsy livery).    This is a Proto 2000 unit and one of the most expensive locos on my roster.   It runs smoothly at slow speeds so it is often used at the West Mill Float yard.



 KP&W SD9 #890  This is the same PK2 locomotive with a custom painted Athearn shell on top.     I interchange them as the whim suits me.   This is a preview of coming attractions as I soon plan to post about my freelanced road, the Kings Port & Western Railroad.  The Black and orange scheme is a modification of the original Milwaukee Road livery the shell was painted in when I found it in the bargain back room of my LHS.     I actually have a pair of these, but more on that later.

Finally, here is the Proto 2000 SD9 carrying out its usual assignment at the Float Yard.

That's it for now!

4 comments:

  1. A great looking PC fleet to say the least! Nice job on the photos and information Ralph. The Yanosey quote is a nice touch. Your spot on with the GP38. The GP38 was basically ignored while the SD45s and GP40s flew off the shelves. The economies of fuel and maintenance savings made these non turbo charged units an ideal PC locomotive that was light on the fuel, easily maintained and able to be used anywhere in the system.
    Nice work on the paint jobs and especially the work on the GP9B! I like the swap of shells for the P-2000 SD unit. Looking forward to seeing and learning about the KP&W roster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John. Now I'm finding myself in the position of having too much to post about! :)

      Delete
  2. The GP38s, as I understand it, were bought to replace the Baldwin road switchers in particular.

    ReplyDelete