Thursday, January 3, 2019

New Years Layout Resolutions

Hello and Happy New Year!  

This is traditionally the time for resolutions so I've decided to make some regarding my layout as a way of creating a little accountability and motivation for myself.

Among the layout improvements I wish to complete this year is adding more details to my various shelf layout components that I use for photographing "off-layout" scenes such as The Kings Port & Western's Mountain Branch industries seen below.  Right now they have just enough structures and scenery to convey the idea but I'd like to make them look better.


Here is another one that I place in front of some industries in the Mayfield Area such as Cavendish Foods, Peerless Appliance, and ACME Auto Parts.  Its simply a ballasted track that could benefit from more scenic treatments.


Another project involves finishing the least completed section of my layout, a little corner near K.P. Steel.   I made the traveling crane a long time ago and always intended to add track to create a coal unloading scene.  Time to get that done!  

While I've started adding new metal wheels to several of my vintage Tyco, Bachmann, and Athearn Blue Box cars I'd like to focus on these hoppers that roll poorly.  

They all have talgo tucks or horn hook couplers.  Eventually 'd like to change them all out for magnetic couplers but I've found that in the mean time new metal wheels greatly improve performance, even when the cars back up though several switches.  So far I've added new wheels to eight hoppers.

Below is a video of a  KP&W op I developed in which coal hoppers from Mayfield run to the West Mill car float.    The new wheels make it possible for these old cars to negotiate being pushed through several turnouts and the incline down to the barge without derailing.  I'm looking forward to making the same improved performance possible for the rest of the hoppers shown in the box above. 



Additional resolutions include further reinforcing the idea that the Kings Port & Western as well as the PC have connections to the B&M...

...and the Lehigh Valley

One last resolution is to finally get around to ballasting the staging track leading off layout to the KP&W's Mountain And Mayfield Branches!

I imagine I may come up with more projects but this seems like a good start.  Posting about them should help me be mindful of them and start ticking them off the list!  Thanks for taking a look!

3 comments:

  1. A nice look at the K.P.D. and it's 2019 goals. Just identifying a list of to do projects for the layout is a major step forward. Having the list should help keep the focus on these projects and lead to their successful completion. I'm impressed with the metal wheels rectifying some of the coal hopper issues and look forward to seeing ALL the coal hoppers in your fleet being able to ride the West Mill car float. Best wishes for continued success with your projects!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think those are some great resolutions for the layout. Your hopper project is coming along nicely. Glad to see the wheel sets made a big improvement in performance. To be honest, I never noticed any issues with the scenery on your layout or shelf displays. I’m leaning in the same direction with my projects for 2019. Improvements to the existing roster, rather than adding more items. I was able to add some more PCCM compatible rolling stock. Including B&M and LV equipment.
    Thanks for the inspiration and ideas for 2019. Hopefully you can get your resolutions completed before 2020. 😉

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seems like the KP&W can get to the B&M via either Selkirk PC or Mechanicville D&H. There could be a through run via either from Kings Port to East Deerfield -- Guilford did this sort of thing when it had the D&H and ran BUED and EDBU to Buffalo.

    ReplyDelete