Friday, April 27, 2018

Adding a layout to the layout!



Hello,

Some of my recent P.C.C.M.posts have included images of cars spotted at some of my so called "facade industries" which, for the most part, are building flats staged to convey the impression that my layout has more industries than it actually does to increase our virtual ops options. 

A couple of recent examples: a covered grain hopper set out at Agway....

..A PC Hi Cube left at ACME Auto Parts.

In the past I've staged such photos using a small diorama made from a piece of homasote

..with foam board building flats propped up behind it.

I originally had three facade industries but started creating more to generate more rail traffic and add interest to our virtual operations.  Here is an earlier blog post about that.

https://kingsportdivision.blogspot.com/2017/08/more-facade-industries-to-expand.html


Agway on the diorama with foam core sky behind.


Although I liked being able to include photos of additional industries in P.C.C.M.s,  it was cumbersome to set up the diorama on a coffee table and I felt it would be nice to have a more dedicated way of showing car movements at these industries.  A blog post by John B. about the addition of a shelf layout for his existing layout got me thinking. 
 http://modelrrmisc.blogspot.com/2017/08/operating-facade-industry.html

I really didn't have room to add a shelf layout as a peninsula or set one up in another room, but then I looked at the river scene at West Mill and it occurred to me that I could add a shelf layout under the river extension w/o further crowding the layout room!

Here is the initial shelf work under the river.  It extends the same distance into the room as the river scene above it.  Its set low but is a good height for me when I sit in a chair in front of it.


My track plan for the shelf includes a hidden staging track and two spurs on either side. 

I used blue foam core board as an easy removable back drop that allows me to access the staging track and wiring under the layout.   You can see the hole in the backdrop for the hidden staging track.


Test fitting the Agway elevator.  I'll be adding additional background details like the silver silos to the left and the small town buildings to the right to fill out the scenes.  I printed these from Google images and glued them onto foam board.   I realized pretty quickly that it would be nice to have additional room to add scenic features or structures in the foreground so I created drop down shelves on either side of the new layout.  You can see the drop down panel and hinges in front of Agway.


The drop down sections have legs on hinges that when raised and fitted into place stabilize the shelf.


The drop down sections in place on either side, ready to accommodate removable scenic panels. 

Some ground cover and ballast was added to the permanent part of the shelf layout. 

Next step was to make some removable panels to place on these drop down shelves.  Here is one in front of Agway with ground cover and an additional dummy track that suggests more rail action.



Another panel representing my preliminary attempt to create the Kings Port & Western's Williams Yard.

After some building improvements and additional ballast treatments it now looks like this.

This is an evolving project but the intent is to provide a photographic backdrop for the P.C.C.M.s...but I've also got myself a new shelf layout that actually functions as a fun opportunity to do some switching!   I've run wire from West Mill Yard above to power the shelf section.  Locos move smoothly through the track work to pick up and set out cars.  In addition to taking photos of virtual ops on these shelves I also hope to film some video segments of cars being moved.

More to come as this develops!

3 comments:

  1. Ralph,

    Very nicely done shelf layout to compliment your main layout! Having the flexibility to make changes to local industries for the PCCM series is a plus! I like the ability to access the main layout and staging tracks with the removable panels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great look into the behind the scenes, or under the scenes as the case may be, of the ever expanding and evolving Kings Port Division! The new layout under the layout is paying huge dividends so far with the virtual ops. The scenes look great and the plan has come together beautifully. Well Done Ralph!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ralph, that is absolutely brilliant! Making use of open space, adding wood, a little scenery, and I must say, you've made yourself a huge layout!! The virtual ops will never be the same. I think he's dropping us hints to see where we can add more to our layouts. Thanks John B. and Ralph...!

    ReplyDelete