Monday, July 29, 2019

Newer Bachmann/ Older Athearn lashup!

Hi all,

In the most recent P.C.C.M. (#62) I included a short video of a light engine run passing a small local train.   To assemble it I grabbed several locomotives, hoping to create a GP38-2, GP38, GP40 grouping.  I experimented with pairing two powered units I've never matched up before: a Bachmann GP38-2 I bought last year and an old Athearn GP38-2 I've had for 20-25 years.    To my surprise and pleasure they ran very well together!

After seeing how well they did in the short clip in our last virtual ops series I decided to pair them again running a train, and put them through their paces of slowly rolling a train out of town, hauling along the mainline, and backing the cars into a yard.  This all was accomplished flawlessly!   

I documented the run in the following YouTube video.


I'll be including this consist in some future P.C.C.M.s!

4 comments:

  1. Very nice work on the consist. The 5 engine run was very impressive. The sound on the moves were very enjoyable. Looks like you'll get a lot of mileage on those two engines together. I did like the reverse move with the caboose on the lead. Nice touch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very impressive Ralph! Being a DC modeler with similar motive power I found the Bachmann - Athearn BB very interesting. I plan to examine my engines to see if similar lashups would work on the NYCTL. Thanks for a great video!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, Bachmann locos suffer from the stereotype they got in the 1970s and 80s, but they're very good basic locos now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice motive power pairing! Thoroughly enjoyed your ops session.

    ReplyDelete