Friday, February 7, 2020

Two locomotives join the KPD!

Hello,

Last Saturday I attended a model railroad sale at Century College which is about a 15 minute drive from my home.    Sometimes I attend train sales with particular items in mind that I'm hoping to find but this time I just went to see what I might see.   It often seems that I have better luck when I don't have expectations!    

That was the case this time as I found a vendor who offered a number of locomotives in a box marked "$10 each".  They were a mix of used Tyco, Mantua, and Atlas Yellow Box models.  My eye immediately fell on two Pennsylvania diesels, both equipped with magnetic couplers!  I snatched the pair up for twenty bucks.

The first is a Mantua GP20 numbered 3299 in Pennsy livery.  





The dynamic brake blister is removable.   I was dubious of the loco's number and some online research revealed that the Pennsy did not have any GP20s at all.  The New York Central, however, had fifteen, thirteen of which later became Penn Central units numbered between 2100-2112.  I'll be transforming this unit into Penn Central loco #2107 as if it were a former NYC locomotive.




Here is a proto photo of Penn Central GP20 #2107

The second locomotive is an Atlas Yellow Box SD35 which is accurately numbered as #6017.  The PRR had 40 of these units numbered between 6000 and 6039.  This unit will run on the KPD as is!

Here is a proto photo of sister unit SD35 #6016

A couple of days later after I applied paint and decals, PC #2107 makes its first appearances at West Mill Yard and Ulster Ave. in Kings Port.  Its pretty shiny right now, coming right out of the paint shop, but I will be dulling it down and adding some weathering.





Here is PRR SD35 #6017 running in consist at West Mill





Both units run well!   Watch GP20 #2107 pulling tank cars into West Mill Yard in the video below:
 
Watch PRR SD35 #6017 run in consist through West Mill in the video below:

 I have to say I'm pretty pleased with the latest inexpensive additions to the locomotive roster!




2 comments:

  1. Very nice acquisitions! I do like the Atlas Yellow Box engines. They run very well, and I do look for them when I go to the train shows. Nice job on the PC GP20. Looking forward to seeing it down the road in future PCCM's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice finds Ralph!!! I'm envious of the deals! The 2107 came out great and the SD35 looks perfect in the PC consist. Nice photos and videos to introduce the newest members of your fleet!

    ReplyDelete