Thursday, October 17, 2019

An Unexpected Visit to an Historic Depot in Salt Lake City

Its become an annual tradition that I accompany my wife to her library conferences and enjoy touring the cities where they are held. Along with visiting the unique places of interest each city offers I try to find railroad related attractions if I can.  Last year's trip to St. Louis was a treat as we stayed at a hotel connected to that city's historic Union Station.

See my blog post from last year about the hotel and station: Here

This year's trip was to Salt Lake City.  Our hotel was downtown and I wasn't seeing any obvious railroad attractions nearby.  The Golden Spike National State Park in Brigham City, Utah is 63 miles from Salt Lake City, a bit far for our schedule.  I thought I might just have to content myself with riding Utah Trax, the light rail system serving the city...which I did.

But, the first night in town I looked out our hotel window and noticed a red neon sign for the RIO GRANDE a few blocks away.

The next morning I set off walking in that direction and found myself in the city's Greek Town where there is a mix of old and new buildings and several restaurants.  

 At the end of the street I came upon this Historic Depot!  An interpretive sign informed me that the station was built during 1908-1910 and includes "elements of Beaux Arts Classicism and Renaissance Revival architectural styles".   It was designed by Henry J. Schlachs of Chicago and cost $750.000.  At the time there was a Union Pacific Depot three blocks away to the North.  Apparently the Rio Grande Station was an attempt by George Gould to "develop a transcontinental railroad system to compete with the Union Pacific".   The interpretive sign goes on further to read, "In 1977 the building was given to the State of Utah.   It has been occupied by the Utah State Historical Society since December 1980"

The building houses the Utah Historical Society, the Utah History Research Center, a gallery and a restaurant.   Most of the building was locked and required  pass cards to enter so I walked around for a better look at the outside.   I found these vestiges of old passenger platforms.   The nearest existing railroad tracks are at a freight yard a full block away.  I could see UP units hauling a train in the distance.   I decided not to walk down there to train watch since the area is pretty sketchy.  A few dozen folks who looked homeless or who might have been waiting to "catch out" were lounging on the grass behind the Historic Station and in a nearby park.  

Here is the interpretive sign.

The Rio Grande Cafe is apparently housed in the original depot restaurant space.  I think they did a nice job with it. The food is billed as "Comfort Mexican".  I had a tasty burrito.  The odd object hanging from the ceiling at the right is an art installation of a large taco with a life size human female figure inside.  My waiter commented that it receives mixed reactions from patrons....


A G Scale train runs over the bar in front of this great neon Rio Grande logo

 Menu placards bear the Rio Grande logo as well.

I liked this mural in a small waiting room next to the restaurant.  The main part of the station is beyond those doors but they were secured.  I could see an art gallery inside. 

I was happy to find the depot and enjoy some Rio Grande history along with a decent lunch at a fun cafe.  I'd recommend checking it out but use your "city smarts" as the area is noted for high crime and drug use.   You can read more about the Historic Depot in the link below.

Historic Rio Grande Depot

Thanks for taking a look!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the nice photos and historic info Ralph!!! So sad to read that the area is prone to crime and drug use. It looks quite nice in your photos. I'm not sure I would have been a fan of the hanging taco with the woman inside but otherwise the cafe looked nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems like the recommendation is to visit during the day time. I was happy to find some local railroad history! Art is in the eye of the beholder I guess!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the tour! The UP trains that run thru the area are always fun to watch, usually from a taxi ride to & from the airport. I've been to Salt Lake City many times, but never had the chance to wander that area. Thanks for the tour!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its cool you've been to SLC and know the area. You can access it on their Blue Line light rail from downtown instead of walking as I did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool adventure Ralph! My family's dealings with the Rio Grande has always been on this side of the "hill" and I have very little knowledge of how the other side looked. Looks like a well preserved piece of Rio Grande history. The Cafe reminds me of the one that was in Denver's Union Station when I was a kid. That was cool you came across it. On YouTube there is a channel "Toy Man Television" that is based out of the Salt Lake area. He covers the local attractions around town. Thanks for sharing your Rio Grande adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen some of Toy Man and liked his stuff.

    ReplyDelete